Who doesn’t love savoury muffins? I like to make a few to take along as padkos when we hike or travel.
I used my basic muffin recipe and added some fresh basil and chili from our garden. Unfortunately I had to buy the cheese… Cows will come when our little farm expands.
I did make my muffins gluten free by simply substituting regular flour and baking powder with gluten free flour and xantham gum.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time 20 minutes
- Yields: 12 muffins
- Large handful chopped basil
- 200 g mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- Pinch salt
- Finely diced chilli
- 200ml milk (Thanks Di!)
- 1tsp paprika
- 3 cups flour (I used a mix of gluten free flours)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder (or 2 tsp Xantham Gum)
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Sift together dry ingredients and add the cheese, basil, chilli and paprika
- Add eggs to milk and whisk
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients 1/3 at a time and stir until just mixed. Do not over mix!
- Spoon into greased muffin tin
- Add extra paprika and cheese on top
Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!