Nothing says Christmas quite like cherries. Rich, chewy, heady cherries. Burgundy, carmine, crimson and maroon cherries. Sweet cherries, sour cherries.
- 6 cups cherries
- 2.5 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 sprigs mint
- 1tsp Vanilla Essence
- Wash and pit the cherries. Chop 1/2 of them finely and 1/2 coarsely.
- Add the cherries and sugar to a large pot, the liquid will froth up so make sure it’s big enough! Stir and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes. This will allow some of the liquid to release from the cherries.
- Turn the heat to medium, stirring frequently, and allow the mixture to come to a simmer. Stir in the lemon juice, vanilla essence and add mint sprigs.
- The pot will slowly fill with more liquid as it releases from the cherries. If necessary, turn the heat down to low until some of the liquid has evaporated and then turn the heat back up to medium, stirring frequently the entire time. Continue stirring the jam as it simmers until most of the liquid has evaporated or thickened up, approximately 45 minutes. Keep in mind that the jam will continue to thicken once it cools.
- Once the jam is thick, remove it from the heat. Remove mint sprigs. Can, freeze or store in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Labels downloaded from http://www.eatdrinkchic.com/post.cfm/diy-home-made-jam-packaging-free-labels