For the cupcakes: makes 12
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 slab semi sweet chocolate
3/4 cup (180g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
250 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups icing sugar
100 ml milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
150g chopped almonds (FOR SPRINKLING ON AFTERWARDS!)
¼ cup (2 heaped Tbsp) Nutella
Extra Nutella to spread lightly in order to get almonds to stick when decorating
12 Ferrero Rochers
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with the liners of your choice.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes or so.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla essence.
6. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with flour.
7. Divide the batter evenly into your prepared cupcake pan. Add a piece of semi sweet chocolate to the middle of each cupcake
9. Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes.
1. In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes
2. With the mixer speed on low, slowly and gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, mixing until combined.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, adjusting to taste, and mix until smooth.
- Use some Nutella and cover the tops/sides of the cupcakes with a thin layer.
- Roll in the diced almonds making sure the sides are covered.
- Using a piping bag and nozzle, pipe Nutella frosting in the centre of each cupcake.
- Top with a Ferrero Rocher chocolate