Serves 4 people
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 300g exotic mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium pak choi/bok choy bunches, thickly sliced crosswise
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Cashew nuts (roast in a pan)
- In a medium jar, combine the chicken stock with the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, dissolved cornstarch, rice vinegar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper and shake well.
- In a large nonstick wok, heat 2 teaspoons of the canola oil until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a large plate.
- Add another 2 teaspoons of canola oil to the wok. Season the chicken breast pieces generously with salt and pepper, add them to the pan and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are golden and just barely cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken pieces to the plate with the oyster mushrooms.
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to the wok along with the pak choi and red pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of canola oil to the wok along with the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Return the chicken and vegetables to the wok. Shake the sauce and add it to the wok. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a bowl and serve.
Serve with rice noodles or rice, sprinkle with roasted cashews and savour!
Love, Kerry Leigh x