Perfect for a picnic, these Key Lime Pies are perfectly portioned and super portable! Other recipes call for 1 cup of concentrated lime juice, but I halved that and added the juice and zesty pith from 8 limes as well.
FOR THE TENNIS BISCUIT LAYER
- 1 cup crushed tennis biscuit crumbs
- 2 Tbs caster sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
FOR THE LIME FILLING
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup key lime juice (bottled)
- Juice/pith from 8 limes
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp lime green food colouring
FOR THE MERINGUE TOP
- 3 egg white
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
TO MAKE THE CRUST CRUMBLE LAYER
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- To make the cracker crumbs you can place the crackers in a food processor and run until they are crushed or place them in a ziptop bag and roll over them with a rolling pin until they are crushed.
- Add the sugar and melted butter to biscuit crumbs in a bowl and mix well
- Spoon crumb layer into jars (use your own discretion when choosing how thick/thin you want the layer)
- Bake for 10 minutes then set it aside to cool while you make the filling
TO MAKE THE FILLING
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the egg yolks and beat on high until pale yellow and thick.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, lime zest, lime juice and food colouring and whisk on medium until combined.
- Pour into the jars leaving 1.5 cm from the top open
TO MAKE THE MERINGUE TOPS
- In the bowl of your electric mixer whisk the 3 egg whites on high until they for soft peaks
- Add the vanilla essence and caster sugar
- Whisk until firm peaks are formed
- Pipe onto the top of the lime filling layer in jars
BAKE THE KEY LIME PIES FOR 15 MINUTES. LET THEM COOL DOWN FOR 20 MINUTES AND REFRIGERATE FOR 2 HOURS BEFORE YOU SERVE THEM.