For a twist, bake mini lemon meringue pies in glass jars.
1 1/2 cups fine tennis biscuits crushed
1/2 cup sugar
60 g butter, melted
One tin condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3 large egg yolks, whites reserved for meringue
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup caster sugar
1) Preheat oven to 165 degrees and grease a 20/25 cm diameter pie dish
2) In a bowl, mix together crushed biscuits, sugar and butter
3) Press the biscuit crust into the pie dish or separate into the glass jars (not too thick!)
4) In another bowl combine lemon juice, condensed milk, 3 egg yolks and lemon zest. Stir gently. (Remember to save the egg whites!)
5) Pour the filling on top of the biscuit crust in the pie dish/jars.
6) Whisk together the 3 egg whites. With the Cream of Tartar. Add the caster sugar when soft peaks start to form. Whisk for approximately 8 minutes until stiff peaks form.
7) Add meringue to the top of the pie. Decorate with spoon swirls or use a piping nozzle.
8) Bake for 15 – 20 minutes and let cool before placing in fridge for 2 hours before serving.