Who doesn’t love good old macaroni cheese? It tastes like the comfort of your favourite couch.
I’ve taken this traditional meal and added a few spoonfuls of all that’s fresh, vibrant and delightfully hedonistic.
1 1/2 cups macaroni pasta
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
10 cherry tomatoes
5 slices bacon (depending on you of course!)
Feta (to sprinkle on top)
200ml sour cream
2 teaspoons mustard powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1teaspoon Tabasco sauce
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 ½ cups milk
2 cups mature cheddar cheese grated
2 cups mozzarella or goats milk cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt, pepper to taste
Set oven to 180 Degrees
1. Add pasta to a pot of salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender. Remove and drain. Set aside.
2. In a heavy-based pan add the 4 tablespoons of butter. Heat until melted and then sift the flour in and stir well with a wooden spoon until a solid ball is formed. Turn the stove right down.
3. Add the mustard powder, cayenne pepper, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper
4. Add the milk slowly, whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Add the sour cream.
5. Add 1 cup each of the two cheeses and continue stirring. Once melted, remove from heat.
6. Place the pasta in a 20cm by 30cm dish. Pour the sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over and add seasoning.
7. Cook bacon for a few minutes and finely dice- add to top of macaroni
8. Add cherry tomatoes and feta
9. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes
10. Remove tinfoil and cook for another 20 minutes
p.s. Put the grill on for a minute or two at the end to get that delectably crunchy crust
Kerry Leigh x