For the Puff Pastry
250g cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup cold tap water
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
For the Filling
6 – 8 slices of bacon
Grated Pecorino Cheese
Sweet Chilli Jam
Parsley roughly diced
For Puff Pastry
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer that is fitted with a dough hook. Gradually stir in water until the dough holds together enough to clean the sides of the bowl. You may not need the full amount of water. Shape into a flat ball, and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the butter between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound into a flat disc using a rolling pin or other heavy object. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Place the disc of chilled butter in the center and fold the two ends over it so that it is completely encased in dough. Roll out the dough again, taking care not to let the butter break through the dough, to about 1/2 inch thickness. Fold into thirds. This is the first ”turn”. Rotate the dough 90 degrees and roll out into a rectangle again. Fold into thirds. By this time the butter is starting to warm up. Place the dough on a baking sheet and mark it with two pokes from your finger (two turns). Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat this rolling, folding and turning two more times, then refrigerate until firm. Repeat two more times for a total of 6 ”turns”. Wrap and refrigerate. The dough is now ready to roll out and use.
For the Pastry Wheels
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease a baking tray
2) Dust a work surface with flour and gently roll out the puff pastry
3) Cut a piece of the pastry measuring approx. 25 cm by 15 cm
5) Add a generous layer of the Mozzarella cheese.
6) Cover with a layer of bacon, making sure the pieces are parallel to the width of the pastry (these ensures easy cutting later on)
7) Add good sprinkle of the Pecorino cheese and a small handful of parsley.
8) Place into freezer for 5 minutes to firm up pastry
9) Roll up carefully and slice into wheels 1 ½ cm in width
10) Lay out the pastry wheels on the baking tray and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until golden in colour.